Saturday 16 June 2012

Bared to You - Sylvia Day

Bared to You (Crossfire #1) - Sylvia Day
Grade: Adult
Rating: 5/5 stars

Our journey began in fire...

Gideon Cross came into my life like lightning in the darkness—beautiful and brilliant, jagged and white-hot. I was drawn to him as I'd never been to anything or anyone in my life. I craved his touch like a drug, even knowing it would weaken me. I was flawed and damaged, and he opened those cracks in me so easily...

Gideon knew. He had demons of his own. And we would become the mirrors that reflected each other's most private wounds... and desires.

The bonds of his love transformed me, even as I prayed that the torment of our pasts didn't tear us apart... (Description from Goodreads)

~ * ~ * ~

If you’re a fan of Fifty Shades then you'll like Bared to You.
If like me, you didn't mind the first Fifty book, adored the second but was then left disappointed by the third, then you'll LOVE Bared to you!

You will notice a lot of similarities between the two series, but it's the differences that make me love Bared to You.

By just comparing the first Fifty book to Bared to You, both have an intense "lust at first sight” scene, where you can see, not fire-works but flame throwers, being let off when they stare at each other.

Both male characters are extremely good looking, multi billionaire's with haunting childhoods. This means they both don't "do relationships". Both have women in their past that try to cause drama. They are controlling, dominating, possessive, alpha males but where Christian had a coldness to him (especially in the first book); Gideon has a warmth that had me melting at the words that left his mouth.

Then there are the female character's who couldn't be more different. Eva is not Anna. She's had a traumatic childhood herself, which means she is not naive or innocent like Anna. But Eva is also so strong. She knows what she wants and doesn't want and isn't afraid to voice, or apologise for what she wants (in fact Gideon was the one doing most of the apologising). Eva also had a vulnerable side that made me love her even more. There is nothing better than having a strong female character in a novel.

There are other similarities, story wise, as well, but I was able to ignore them and just enjoy this story for what it is. And it is an amazing romance that at times, had me swooning.

Bared to You largely focussed on Gideon and Eva's relationship. There were plenty of ups and downs that made the story interesting and had me flipping the pages in desperation to find out what happened next. Many of the story threads are left open at the end (for example, we learn about Eva's past but not about Gideon), which means you are left feeling anxious for the next book.


Kerrie

0 comments:

Post a Comment