Saturday 14 December 2013

Empower - Jessica Shirvington

Empower (The Violet Eden Chapters, #5)Empower (Violet Eden Chapters #5)
- Jessica Shirvington
Grade: YA
Rating: 5/5 stars

It has been two years since Violet Eden walked away from the city, her friends, her future and – most painfully – her soulmate, Lincoln. Part angel, part human, Violet is determined to stand by the promises she made to save the one she loves.

Living in the perpetual coldness of a broken soul she survives day to day as a Rogue Grigori in London. It has been more than a year since she felt Lincoln searching for her and Violet has learnt to focus on nothing more than the war against exiled angels. But when an unexpected visitor shows up at her door, the news he bears about someone she swore to protect leaves Violet with no choice. Even worse, she fears that this might all lead back to the night she tries hardest to forget. And what was taken without her permission.

Violet is going back to New York ... and she knows exactly who is going to be there. With Phoenix in her dreams and Lincoln in heart she knows it is only a matter of time before the final choice must be made.(Description from Date a Book.)


~ * ~ * ~

I usually don’t review books when I haven’t reviewed the rest in the series – it makes me feel like I’m not giving viewers the chance to see my entire thoughts; but there is absolutely no way I can’t put down how much I loved this book!

If you’re a fan of the series, you would know that the fourth book – Endless – had an incredibly emotional and shocking ending. I spent half the book in tears and desperate to find out more. Well, Empower brings that and more. Lines were crossed in the past, and in this book, we’re learning to deal with the fall out.

I’ve always loved Violet, she had her moments – it’s hard not to get frustrated at characters sometimes as they make mistakes and grow – but I’ve always loved how determined she is to be her own person. She’s had to deal with a lot of responsibilities, and a destiny she’s been thrown into, but has had an incredible support crew she has behind her. I loved seeing that return in Empower, but also loved watching her accept that she was not alone in her fight to save the world.

For me, one of the most important parts of the book is choice – not only because of the tagline; it’s more than just that. Fans are going to think it’s the ‘final’ choice between Lincoln and Phoenix, but Violet picked Lincoln ages ago: mind, body and spirit – it’s always been about Lincoln. Just like the final choice will always be about Violet’s Grigori role: who she wants to be and where she fits into this world. She’ll never be able to just slide into the world, she has to have a purpose, so Empower is all about finally finding her ultimate place. And I loved watching Violet get there. She doesn’t let others determine her position. She’s a very strong character in that regard.

With how Endless left off, there was always going to be questions regarding Violet’s friends. I think I was more shocked by their acceptance of it all. With the exception of one character, who I’m not sure we can classify as just a ‘friend’; not one of them showed any frustrations at Violet’s choices. I was honestly expecting just one to go: “Hey, Vi. Glad you’re okay, but I haven’t quite forgiven you for running off yet.” – Or maybe that’s just my own feelings taking over. Violet is incredibly lucky with her relationships!

One of the things I was dying to see unfold was the romance. As a very vocal Team Lincoln fan, I was extremely close to willing myself into the book so I could lock Violet and Linc in the same room and wait for them to work out their differences. There were some lines, scenes and situations that just made me melt. These two are one of my top YA It-Couples. I was a very happy Kim!

There is so much I’d love to gush about this book: the rogue involvement, seeing favourite characters, exploring new locations – but I think I’ll skip to the danger: a new exile evil who is fighting for the end of the world. It’s strange, with Lilith they had a plan and a definite way of destroying her, but in Empower I honestly had no idea if they’d make it out alive. It was darker, more dangerous and involved more Grigori and exiles than you could possibly image. The book was very action-packed – I loved it! A lot happened towards the end with so few pages to go, but I think what I loved most was that the questions fan would be most vocal about were wrapped up – but all without being too fairytale-like. I felt that we were left wondering what the future will be like, but only because I didn’t want to let the characters go. There was enough of an ending to be satisfied. For Violet, Lincoln and the rest, life is never going to be simple and there’s no way to predict what could come next; but we get enough to feel complete.

I have enjoyed this series so much. The ups and downs, the emotion, friendship and growth for all characters. It will forever be a favourite!

5/5 stars

Kim
(Also posted on Goodreads)

2 comments:

  1. I have only read the first book in this series but after reading your praise of this book you've left me eager to pick up the other books. I hope Violet & Lincoln got their HEA, I'm a huge romantic :-)

    A lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this series - it just gets better and more emotional as you go along. I hope you do give it a go, because it's worth reading to the end!

      Kim

      Delete